Days & Nights of Natalie

Friday, March 30, 2007

Car accident (what really happened)


Kelly, Elle, & I were in our car (on the east side of highway 6) on Westheimer, heading west. The
traffic (as always at the time of day) was bumper to bumper. I saw a blue car (I believe it was a ford Taurus) waiting to turn into the Academy parking lot and knew that if I pulled forward I
would block his way into the parking lot. The car in the lane next to me, also left room for him to pass. The two SUV's in the third lane were blocking his way. (The first SUV was white with a male driver and the second was black with a female driver.) (Every thing from here happened within a minutes time...from 18:16 to 18:17.) I saw the light at highway 6 turn green and the cars in front of me pulled up so I pulled forward, as did the white Honda Civic behind me. Right after we pulled forward, I noticed in my rear view mirror the blue car pull out across our side of Westheimer. Then turned my head to the right and noticed a man, with white hair, in a dark green Jeep Cherokee smiling at Elle. That's when I heard the crash and watched in horror as the jeep started to raise up and towards us...but my eyes were still on the man mostly. I saw his grip on the steering wheel tighten and the muscles in his arms flex hard while his jeep lifted. Then I saw a flash of darker red and tires. (Somehow I had moved the car over up against the median, never coming close to the car in front of me.) Then it was silent (it seemed long but was only about a second, maybe two.) I put the car park picked up my phone and dialed 911. (I kept trying to tell the woman where we were at, but that wasn't going so well. Thankfully, about ten or people called at the same time so someone got through with the information quickly.)

I don't remember getting out of the car, but I must have right after picking up the phone. The flash of dark red I saw was a Dodge Durango. There was a woman and her son in it. The son they could out quickly. The mother was pinned by the roof collapsed against her head, her seat beat would not unlatch, and the dash board and steering wheel pinned against her legs and waist. The Jeep Cherokee lifted up because of a small black car being pushed under it. (The small black older car was so badly beaten that you couldn't tell what kind of car it was. It looked like it may have be an older Toyota or Honda.) The Black car had a Woman driving it with a baby, toddler, and husband in it. When I looked over, to realize that there was a car under the Cherokee, someone was taking the baby out of the hands of the father. Then they removed the toddler. At the same time they were removing the boy from the Durango. (The lady in the car in front of me had also gotten out and was translating for the woman in the Durango.) It was at this time that the gentleman from the Cherokee pointed out that we needed to move our cars, since it was the only lane that was drivable. I got in my car, and the lady hopped in her car. She pulled in the far right lane, in front of the accident. I pulled into the Academy parking lot. Everyone else started pulling forward and away. I got out of the car and ran back over. (Kelly and Elle stayed at the car.) While running back over I noticed the fifth car in the accident. It was a light blue SUV. I think it was a Toyota Highlander by the shape and color of it. I found out that the accident happened in the following order...the blue Taurus seeing an opening started across Westheimer (kind of gunning it) from the eastbound turn lane... (...the black car was waiting in the parking lot to turn [west] onto Westheimer, the red Durango was in the far right westbound [right turn only] lane, the blue Highlander was in the third westbound lane, the green Cherokee was in the second westbound lane, while I was in the first [or far left] westbound lane...) the Durango (not seeing the blue car) moved forward towards highway six...the black car seeing what is happening tries to move out of the way...the blue Taurus hits the red Durango in the side...the Durango starts to spin into the back of the litlle black car...the little black gets shoved in under the Cherokee and hits the blue Highlander in the back...the Durango bounces off of the black car and then flips over the front end also hitting the back of the Highlander.
By some miracle everyone was alive. None of the five vehicles could really drive away. That I could see...not one airbag had deployed. The entire front of the black car was lodged under the Cherokee, even part of the windshield and dash. How all of the people inside were able to get out and walk away is amazing. The tow trucks had to peel off the Cherokee from the black car, seriously. I remember standing there looking at the crumpled upside down Durango and just staring at a watch and some other things scattered around and under it...thinking that they were just out running errands and now here they were in a major accident fearing for their lives.

















The lady from the car in front of us...remember she translated for the woman in the Durango...told how they found the boy (immediately) after the accident. She said that he was screaming, "Get me out of here! Please God, get me out of here!" The whole time he was clutching a plastic wrapped tablecloth (they had just bought) to his chest, thinking it was his notebook. She also told me about how she had called his Godmother and that it seemed like the woman and her son had no other family here. Shortly after we talked she left for the hospital that they took the lady and her son to. She didn't want them to be alone. I believe the were taken to Memorial Hermann Memorial City Hospital. The family from the little black car were taken to West Houston Medical Center. I don't know if anyone else went to the hospital. The husband, from the black car, kept holding the baby. It took some convincing to put the baby back in his infant carrier...which by this point had been removed by an EMT. I forgot about that...two of the bystanders of the accident were EMT's, so they immediately started helping. There was also a Sheriff's Deputy (in uniform) that helped until HPD arrived.

If I forgot anything else, I will add it later. Right now I have a really bad headache. I keep thinking that after seeing the way everything happened...that the Jeep Cherokee should have been pushed into our car. I am so thankful that it didn't, and thank our guardian angels for watching over us. Somehow, I know that my Daddy and Floyd were there with us. When I told Julie about everything, she pointed out that I saw the man looking over at Elle right before the accident and that sometimes we have super human strength when we need it, especially at times like that...and that maybe he was thinking of her while holding his car in place. I kind of thought that too, right after the accident...I still do...but I believe that he had help. The black car hit him with so much force that half of the car was under his Cherokee. Something I just realized...both women and all of the children were rushed to the hospital...not one of the men went, except as support. That's not saying that the men shouldn't have gone, I think they should have.
After we left, I could not drive back down that way...I just couldn't.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Winning for personal injury can be very difficult without the aid of personal injury attorney. Get insured by Houston injury lawyer. Only the expert lawyer can give us a peace on mind on dealing with our case.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home